12 August 2014

Guys like natural beauty

I've known plenty of straight guys in my short life that support a certain pattern of answering the age-old question of just what it is they look for in a woman's appearance. The majority admit that they're most into natural, no-makeup beauty. Now that's all fine and dandy - and certainly very nice of them - but I realized something the other day.

My brother was with me at the mall, and we had just walked out of Sephora, where I had just made a purchase. He was anguished and confused. He wanted to know why some girls wore makeup even though they didn't need to. I was just as confused by his question.

"Do you mean, why do girls wear eyeshadow and lipstick? Or do you mean why do they wear face makeup?"

"What's the difference?"

That's when I realized it. My brother had no idea what foundation is, or concealer, or illuminator, or BB cream. All he knew was that some girls painted colors onto their eyes and lips and others didn't. And if he didn't know, then maybe a lot of other guys like him don't know that girls who don't look like they're wearing makeup could still be wearing a lot of makeup.

"There's not only eyeshadow and lipstick. There's makeup for your face that girls put on to hid acne, scarring, and discoloration," I told him. "And when it's done right, it can be hard for you to tell it's there."

So, now that's been cleared up for him, and hopefully he can appreciate makeup a little bit instead of seeing it as something silly that some women use. Hopefully he can see that makeup can make you feel confident, pretty, grown-up, empowered - whatever it is you need or want to feel. Or maybe none of those things because you don't like to wear makeup.

I realized it irked me when guys said they liked natural beauty because I put in the time and effort to put on makeup and it made me happy. But now I realize that these men are most likely ill-informed about makeup in general, and that I don't have to answer to them about it. And neither do any of you.


Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment