19 August 2014

Keep smiling, bitch

Not too long ago, one of the managers at the restaurant where I work as a server pulled me aside to give me a quick pointer. She said, "When you're on the floor, no matter what you're doing, make sure to smile! Always be smiling. Because sometimes you like kind of upset."

Whaaaaaat?
I mean, I just nodded and agreed to try harder. But I was pretty confused because I don't think I'm a generally upset person, necessarily. I tried asking some of my friends and roommates about it. They were less than helpful, copping out by telling me they never really paid enough attention. (Is that insulting? Should I be insulted? I think I probably should, a little).

Anyway, I started smiling, like, all the time at work; not just while I greeted tables, but also when I rang in food, poured drinks, cleared off tables, and even when I swept the floors. It felt creepy at first, but now it's like second nature. To the point where I now find myself smiling at random strangers outside of work.

Da fuq.

Last night I went out to a Thai place for my friend's birthday and as we were standing outside, I had to physically restrain myself from telling another party that was leaving to have a great evening. Is this normal? Am I crazy? I don't know.

But you know what I do know? Something weird happens when you consciously put in the effort to smile a lot - you can start to believe that you're a little bit happier. It's quite nice actually.


Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment