11 September 2014

Throwback Thursday

Last weekend, I visited a friend of mine I made during my freshman year of college. We used to be in the same major and live really close to each other, but we've since seen less and less of each other. While I was having dinner with her and her current roommates, I couldn't help but notice how much things have changed.

It wasn't hard to tell that I was a different person. In my freshman year of college, I was an awkward loner who didn't party and was shy and quiet, even around this friend of mine. I was so grateful to her for wanting to be my friend despite all this, and two years later, we still try to make time for each other.

The point of this is to say that during that dinner last weekend, I realized I was pretty comfortable around her roommates, who I only had met on a couple other occasions, and I had plenty to contribute to the conversation. "Freshman Me" would have sat around quietly listening instead, nodding and laughing when necessary.

I always was aware that in order to take steps toward conquering my social anxiety, I had to escape my comfort zone, but it's amazing to see it actually working. It's always darkest before the dawn, and freshman year of college certainly supports that theory. But now, I feel the most confident I've ever been.


Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment